Apple & Bacon Sweet Potato Hash Browns
These were so good we had them again for dinner too! Easy to prep ahead of time and cook on-the-go throughout the week. Perfect with eggs at breakfast if you’ve reintroduced them, or alongside grilled veggies and your favorite protein for lunch or dinner.
The key to non-soggy hash browns? Removing the moisture from the potatoes. I use paper towels to squeeze the moisture from mine after I've shredded them....multiple times :). It can seem like it's overkill, but trust me, it's worth it!
This recipe yields enough that I had several meals-worth of uncooked hash brown mixture to store and use when I wanted!
•4 small sweet potatoes
•4 strips Uncured Bacon
•4 green onions, diced
•1 apple, diced
•1/2 cup Arugula, chopped
•2 tsp Sea Salt
•2 tsp Onion Powder
•2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Use a food processor or grater to shred the potatoes.
- Use paper towels or cheesecloth to press the potatoes, removing the moisture. This will need to be done several times to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, leaving about 2 tbsp of the rendered fat in the skillet. Crumble the bacon.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Warm the rendered fat, then portion out 1/2 -2/3 cup of the sweet potato mixture into the skillet, to about 1/2” thickness.
- Cook for approx 7 minutes, then use a spatula to carefully flip and cook for another 7 minutes. The hash browns will not be solid so they will crumble a bit.