Creamy Chicken Casserole
Just like Grandma made, but with Spaghetti Squash, of course! Savory and creamy, this hit all the right notes for me.
I love prepping a hearty casserole for the week. It’s a great one-dish way to get dinner plus breakfast and lunch multiple times a week!
- Prepare Spaghetti Squash. I use the Instant Pot method: halve the squash and remove seeds. Place face up in the pot, stacking them on the wire rack insert (you may have to stack the halves), and add a cup of water. Close lid and set to manual for 7 minutes. Quick release pressure, and use a fork to “spaghetti” the squash.
- While the Squash is cooking, prepare the chicken and cream sauce. If the spaghetti squash finishes quickly, it’s ok to “spaghetti” it and let it set to the side.
- When sauce and chicken combination are complete, pour over the squash (directions below). Use a fork to “move” the squash around in the pan to make sure the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Bake uncovered at 325 for 20 minutes.
•2 large chicken breasts
•1 tbsp cooking fat (coconut oil, tallow, avocado oil)
•1/4 tsp sea salt
•1/2 tsp garlic powder
•1/2 tsp onion powder
- Coat the breasts evenly in the seasonings.
- Heat the cooking fat in a skillet, and cook covered on medium heat until done throughout.
- Shred while still warm.
•1/2 cup diced onion
•4 garlic cloves minced
•1 tbsp coconut oil
•1 cup sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
•1 cup baby spinach
•1 tsp sea salt
•2 tsp garlic powder
•1 tsp onion powder
•2 sprigs fresh Rosemary, stemmed
•1 can Coconut Cream
•1/8-1/4 cup coconut milk (Optional of you want a thinner sauce)
- Prepare the cream sauce by warming the coconut oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook until tender. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the mushrooms, cover and cook until just-tender and the onions are transparent.
- Add the coconut cream, Rosemary and seasonings. Simmer for approx 5 minutes.
- Fold in the spinach and chicken and stir well. If needed, add the coconut milk.
- Remove from heat.