Salted "Caramel" Apple Crumble Cups
Whatever your plans for a sweet treat are this week, they just changed! It’s like an apple pie parfait dripping with salted caramel! Again, Tigernut flour rules the day here, making the grain and gluten free crumble possible. Although they have some pretty stiff competition from the Medjool dates, making the Salted "Caramel" sauce possible with no added or refined sugars!
Another option is to place the apple/ salted caramel sauce filling and top with the crumble before baking, rather than placing it in cups. Our family SO enjoyed this, and I hope yours does, too!
I bake this in the oven while preparing the apples and salted caramel sauce!
•1 cup Tigernut Flour
•2 tsp Tapioca Flour/ Starch
•2 tsp Cinnamon
•1 tsp Ground Cloves
•1/2 cup Palm Shortening
•2-3 tbsp Raw Honey depending on preferred sweetness
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Melt shortening and honey together.
- Combine with dry ingredients and stir with a fork. It will begin to “crumble” in the bowl.
- Place in a glass baking dish and cook at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until crisp and toasty.
SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
Let this process in a food processor while you cook the apples and bake the crumble!
•15 medjool dates, boiled for 10 minutes and pitted
•1 can coconut cream (water excluded)
•1 tsp sea salt
•1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- This may take 10 minutes or so!
•3 Honeycrisp Apples, peeled and sliced
•2 tbsp Raw Honey
•2 tbsp water
- In a skillet, warm the honey and water until completely combined.
- Add the apples and stir well.
- Cover and cook over low-medium heat until apples are soft.
- When tender, pour off any water from the pan, then add salted caramel sauce 1 cup at a time until your desired “sauciness” is reached. Leave a little extra for topping when you assemble your parfaits.
ASSEMBLE by layering the apples and crumble in a mason jar or mug! Top off with a bit of extra caramel sauce and finish with crumble ❤️
Sent from my iPhone