Spiced Pear Custard Pie with Salted Caramel Sauce
When I was a little girl, I had a huge pear tree in my back yard. I used to love picking them and eating them fresh; it was one of my and the neighborhood kids favorite things to do (right up there with drinking water from the waterhose!). But, I found a new favorite way to enjoy pears! THIS will be on my upcoming holiday menu, for sure! Fluffy and moist with a touch of “pudding” texture, this desert feels like a crustless pie smothered in caramel goodness!
•2 large Bosch Pears, peeled and sliced thin
•1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
•3 eggs OR 3 gelatin eggs for elimination phase AIP**
•3/4 cup Coconut Milk
•1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp coconut sugar
•1/3 cup Otto’s Cassava Flour (link to Amazon below)
•2 tsp Vanilla
•1 tsp Cinnamon
•1/4 tsp ground cloves
•Pinch of ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange pears in a round 9” pan.
- Add remaining ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and fluffy.**
**NOTE IF YOU ARE USING GELATIN EGGS: The Curious Coconut has a great tutorial on this! Check out her blog at www.thecuriouscoconut.com
- Pour the custard mixture over the pears. Bake for approx 35 minutes or until the custard is firm but “springy”.
- Serve warm topped with warm Salted Caramel Sauce and a bit of finely shredded coconut for garnish.
SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
•15 medjool dates, boiled for 10 minutes and pitted
•1 can coconut cream (water excluded)
•1 tsp sea salt
•1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- This may take 10 minutes or so!