Roasted Sweet Potato and Broccoli with Bacon
Necessity is the mother of invention, and our empty pantry (and family being away) made it necessary for me to invent SOMETHING for a late dinner for one! Great reminder of why we need to keep nutrient dense, easy to work with foods on hand. They save the day in a pinch, and you can almost always keep it AIP compliant.
A simple white sweet potato with a mini "fridge clean out" made it possible to stick to my guns, proof positive that some strategic shopping goes a long way! I encourage my clients to plan some "emergency" meal items in their grocery list, because you never know when the day/ week/ month will get away from you and you'll be scrambling to get dinner prepped!
•1 white sweet potato
•1 cup fresh broccoli florets
•2 strips uncured bacon, cut into inch size pieces
•2 tsp Olive Oil, divided
•2 tsp Sea Salt, divided
•1 tsp Garlic Powder
•1 tsp Onion Powder
•1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the potato in an iron skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for approx a half hour, until potato can be pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven, slice open so that it’s like an “open face” potato 🤔
- Rub both halves with 1 tsp of Olive Oil and 1 tsp Sea Salt.
- Toss the broccoli with remaining oil and seasonings.
- Place a layer of bacon pieces on each halve of the potato, then top with broccoli. Top the broccoli with remaining bacon.
- Place back in oven and cook until bacon is done and broccoli is roasted (approx 20 minutes).
- Top with fresh green onion as garnish and serve!